IAOA Assembly 2022 08
- 1 [IAOA] Assembly in August 2022
- 2 Assembly (in detail)
- 3 EC Election (major part of the Assembly)
[IAOA] Assembly in August 2022
This page provides core information about the 2022 assembly of the International Assocation for Ontology and its Applications (IAOA) , located in Bern, Switzerland.
Major agenda items
- 2022 Executive Council (EC) Election
(9 positions for 2023-2024)
- < additions pending >
Most important dates
- Fri, Jul 08 - assembly announcement
- Wed, Jul 27 - nomination closes, additional agenda items due
- Mon, Aug 08 - assembly called to order, ballot(s) start
- Mon, Aug 15 - ballot(s) close
- Thu, Aug 18 - Assembly session (synchronous, hybrid) and end
Highlighted sections below
- EC Election
Assembly (in detail)
- Preparation phase
- Announcement (by the IAOA President) of Assembly, incl. election process: Jul 08
- Proposals for additional agenda items due: Jul 27
- Finalizing agenda, material and preparations by: Aug 07
- Call to order (by the IAOA President): Aug 08
- e-ballot(s) period: Aug 08-15
- Assembly session: Aug 18
The session end concludes the overall assembly.
The assembly session is held in hybrid mode during JOWO 2022 .
Currently, the agenda includes the following items:
- EC election results 2022
- < additions pending >
The membership is encouraged and welcome to suggest additional agenda items to be included before the deadline.
Terms of Reference
For the formal regulations of the assembly, including the EC election, please refer to the IAOA Statute as of Jun 23, 2016, as linked at , especially Art. 11 (Voting and Decisions), Art. 13 (Assembly) and Art. 14 (Executive Council).
EC Election (major part of the Assembly)
- Announcement (by the IAOA President) of Assembly, including Election Process: Jul 08
- Candidature Phase
- Nomination and Discussion opens: Jul 08
- Nomination closes: Jul 27 (AoE = UTC-12)
- Candidates list published: Jul 28
- Campaigning by candidates:
- continues from Jul 29
(after completion of the nomination-verification-acceptance of a candidate)
- Campaigning and discussion closes: Aug 07
- continues from Jul 29
- Ballot opens: 00:01, August 08 (CEST)
- Ballot closes: 23:59, August 15 (AoE = UTC-12)
- Announcement of election results: before or on Aug 18
Nine (9) positions are open for election. The new Executive Council takes office on January 01, 2023, by default until Dec 31, 2024.
- Starting from July 08, 2022 you can nominate and second any individual (excluding yourself) as a candidate for membership in the next IAOA Executive Council (EC).
- While any person who is a current member of IAOA may nominate or second a nomination (excluding self), only an individual who is verified as an IAOA member may be a proper candidate to go on the ballot.
- To make a nomination, send an email to the [iaoa-member] mailing list <email@example.com> (if you are already an IAOA member) providing:
- (A) your name/affiliation/email-address,
- (B) the nominee's name/affiliation/email-address, and
- (C) a citation stating why your nominee would make a good candidate for the IAOA EC.
- To second the nomination, send an email to the [iaoa-member] mailing list <firstname.lastname@example.org> providing the name of the nominee you are seconding.
- The individual making a nomination (and those who second the nomination) should be responsible for communicating with the nominee, see to it that the nominee meets the membership requirement, and get the nominee to send his/her acceptance (on the nomination, seconding, and candidacy) in writing to the [iaoa-member] mailing list <email@example.com>.
- The nomination period closes at 23:59, Jul 27, 2022 (AoE = UTC-12). The list of candidates is published in completion on Jul 28, 2022.
- Nominated candidates are deemed to have been elected if the number of candidates is not larger than the number of vacant positions. In that case no ballot is required.
Campaigning and discussion
- Once a nominee has been verified to be a member of IAOA, and has accepted the nomination, and the nomination has been seconded, he/she should send to the [iaoa-member] mailing list <firstname.lastname@example.org> :
- a brief "position statement" (between 200~250 words) describing his/her view on the Association, goals as Executive Committee (EC) member, activities they want to pursue if elected, ... etc.
- this statement will accompany the candidate's listing when the list of all candidates on the ballot are published prior to voting
- after that, the candidate can start his/her campaign activities on the [iaoa-member] mailing list <email@example.com>.
- Candidates are encouraged to make position statements and plans they have if elected to the EC.
- Other IAOA Members are invited to ask questions, seek clarifications on the candidates' plans etc.
- Other items to be voted on by the Assembly might also be introduced and discussed during this period (in line with Art. 13 of the Statute).
- The mailing list is not moderated for subscribers and IAOA members are encouraged to interact freely.
- Campaigning and discussion will close on August 7, 2022 at 10:59 AoE = UTC-12 / 23:59 CET.
Official start of the 2022 IAOA Assembly
- The President shall call the Assembly to order (virtually, in an email message) and points out the list of candidates that may be elected to the next IAOA Executive Council membership, along with any other items that will be on the (electronic) ballot.
- All members are expected and asked to respond to this message by going to the voting page to confirm their presence at this virtual assembly (as the ballot outcome will be the stronger, the more members have participated, even although no quorum applies).
- Any error or discrepancy found on the list of candidates (and other ballot items) should be reflected to the IAOA President and the Executive Council < iaoa - council [at] ovgu . de > on the same day for rectification.
- IAOA members can vote online from 00:01, August 8 (CET) till 23:59, August 15, 2022 (AoE = UTC-12).
- A vote for the IAOA EC means the selection of up to 9 members from the list of candidates.
- A vote for an item means the selection of one among the provided options for that item.
- All votes are anonymous.
- A member may cast his/her electronic vote by going to IAOA Member Area: https://iaoa.org/index.php/member-area/ and there to the Utilities area.
- You will need your membership password to get into the voting site
- If you have lost your password, you can request a new one via the "Lost your password?" link on the login page to the Member Area.
- If there is additional trouble with your authentication or membership, write < info [at] iaoa.org > for help.
- Should you have any doubt or problem relating to this election, don't hesitate to contact the President Laure Vieu OR the Secretary Frank Loebe < secretary [at] iaoa . org >
- Immediately after voting is closed at 23:59 August 15 (AoE), raw results of the votes shall be available by going to IAOA Member Area: https://iaoa.org/index.php/member-area/ and then to the Utilities.
- Note that these are only "raw" votes ... the official election and ballot outcome will need to be confirmed and will need to be announced later.
- The 9 members that receive more votes among the candidates for the EC are elected and will join the new IAOA EC.
- In case of a tie, the length of continuous membership by candidates in the Association will be taken into account, with longer membership ranking higher. If there is still a tie, then age will be used to break the tie, with younger candidates taking priority.
- The members that are elected will join the new IAOA Executive Council and will take office on January 1, 2023.
- Unless we run into complications (such as technical issues, etc.), the outcome of the voting will be officially announced to the [iaoa-member] mailing list by August 17, 2022.
- Any and all reports of concern (including especially, complaint and/or objection) to the officially announced voting results should be brought to the attention of the Executive Council in writing (via email to <iaoa - council @ ovgu . de>) within 48 hours of the official announcement. Each item of concern received will be individually and openly handled. Past this window, no further report of this nature on the matter will be considered.
Q & A and Clarifications
- ... (to be added as they arise!)
- Question: Since only IAOA members may vote, when (before what date) must I join IAOA to be able to vote in this Election?
- Answer: ... PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR MEMBERSHIP IS UP-TO-DATE as soon as possible.
Please apply for renewal before making a nomination or otherwise participating in the election.
- Question: What is quorum for the Assembly where this EC Election is held? Please also clarify when and how should members 'confirm their presence' in the Assembly so as to be properly recognized in the quorum count.
- Answer: According to the IAOA Statute (Art. 13) the Assembly is validly constituted without a quorum, unless there are motions on Statute changes or the dissolution of the Association. Nevertheless, a high participation rate is very desirable! Your presence will be counted if you are a member of IAOA and you cast your electronic vote (including abstentions!) directly during the ballot period.
- Question: What is the term of office for the newly elected IAOA Executive Council (EC)?
- Answer: It will be 2 years, as recorded in Article 14 of the Statute.
- Question: What should I do if I have questions (not covered here) or run into problems with the Election or voting process?
- Answer: Just send a message to the Executive Council (via email to <iaoa - council @ ovgu . de>), stating clearly who you are, and what is the issue (please also provide some context where applicable) ... we will try to respond to you promptly.
List of Nominations
(chronological order of nominations, within each entry chronological order of secondings) < to appear >
List of EC candidates
< to appear >
< to appear >
This page is maintained primarily by the Secretary of the Association (Frank Loebe).
Please do not edit or modify this page yourself; send any editing request to the Secretary or the President.