SWAO:Conference Call 20140203

Number 2
Duration 1.5 hour90 minute
5,400 second
0.0625 day
Date/Time Feb 03 2014 15:00 GMT
7:00 PST/10:00 EST
Convener Leo Obrst

IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) SIG

Meetings are normally on the first Monday of the month at these times.

Chat transcript

[9:59] Leo Obrst: The 2nd IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) Special Interest Group (SIG) virtual meeting will be held: February 3, 10 am EST / 4 pm CET / UTC (GMT) 15:00.

The main agenda items for this next meeting (with number 4 being new):

1)The selection of co-chairs, and possibly sub co-chairs, depending on proposed sub-committees,

2)The structure and activities of the SWAO SIG that we would like, now and for the future,

3)Prospective joint events/activities among the IAOA SWAO SIG and other organizations. This includes the current Ontology Summit 2014: Big Data and Semantic Web Meet Applied Ontology: http://ontologforum.org/index.php/OntologySummit2014.

4)Consider submitting a Workshop proposal sponsored by the SWAO SIG to ISWC 2014, to be held near Trento, Italy: see: http://iswc2014.semanticweb.org/call-for-workshop-proposals.

Logistics information is at: SWAO:Home

[10:25] Leo Obrst: I think our charter represents the general objectives and issues of the SIG, but that concretely we will be defined by the events that we plan.

[10:28] Frank Loebe: https://iaoa.orgresources/IAOA-ByLaws-V1.2.doc.pdf


[10:29] ElieAbiLahoud: I see value in organizing a workshop where we give the opportunity to people with similar interests to manifest themselves and present/demo their work. This could also serve as a mean to gather a "fresh" state of the art.

[10:30] Andrea Westerinen: One idea is to go deeper on one or more of the topics highlighted in the Ontology Summit.

[10:30] Mike Bennett: I second Elie's idea and the focus on what's the state of the art. Will happily put some effort into this.

[10:30] GigiLipori: Perhaps go deeper into bioontologies, which is my primary interest.

[10:30] Frank Loebe: +1

[10:30] Frank Loebe: (for both proposals)

[10:32] Mike Bennett: A key focus area for me is in the re-use and deployment of ontologies, including across different verticals. Is this something that could be part of the focus of the ISWC workshop?


Section 1. The function of a Special Interest Group (SIG) is to pursue significant long-term activity in a specific technical area within the broad field of the Association. The function of a Regional Chapter (RC) is to encourage interest and activity in the field of the Association within a specific geographical region. The activities of SIGs and RCs may include scientific meetings such as conferences, workshops, special conference sessions, journal special issues, dedicated web pages and other schemes that might be proposed. A SIG can have a single scientific focus, but could also have a wider scope and relate to language or member status. All SIGs and RCs will be organized and operated exclusively for educational and scientific purposes.

Section 2. Three or more persons in a given region, who are members of IAOA and are willing to become officers of a RC, may petition the IAOA Executive Council for a charter as an IAOA chapter in that region. A region is either a country, a collection of countries or a geographical region. A SIG can be formed by the proposal of at least three IAOA members who can demonstrate an international research record in the technical area of the SIG.

Section 3. Before it is approved, a candidate SIG or RC is given six months in which to organize itself and to meet the requirements of the bylaws.

Section 4. Each SIG and RC shall have a charter which includes a mission statement, and optionally provides for regulations specific to the running of the SIG or RC. The SIG or RC shall be designated as an "IAOA Special Interest Group on XX", or "IAOA Regional Chapter for XX". The IAOA Executive Council shall examine the RC or SIG creation proposal which can be either accepted or rejected and shall inform the petitioners in writing of its decision. Rejection decisions should be properly motivated.

Section 5. A SIG or RC shall have a committee of at least two elected officers - Chairperson and Secretary. Once the SIG or RC is established, elections shall be held for these positions every two years. In the document proposal for the creation of a SIG or RC, the proponents must indicate a Chairperson and Secretary for the SIG or RC and indicate the time that will be required for the first initial term of office for establishing the SIG or RC. For subsequent terms, the officers of a chapter will be elected by the majority vote of SIG or RC members. Re-election is possible but consecutive appointments are limited to three successive terms. The election procedure must be specified in the SIGs charter. All RC and SIG officers, and all candidates for these positions must be IAOA Members, as well as members of the respective RC or SIG.

Section 6. The IAOA EC will by majority vote settle ties occurring in any SIG or RC election or SIG or RC bylaw amendment ballot. The SIG or RC bylaws can only be amended by a vote of the SIG or RC members as specified in the SIG or RC's bylaws or by a majority vote of the IAOA EC.

Section 8. Minimum acceptable levels of activity within RCs and SIGs are specified in a viability policy established by the IAOA Executive Council.

[10:37] ElieAbiLahoud: @MikeBennett, on re-use: maybe we could reach out to the ontologydesignpatterns people who are usually active in ISWC

[10:39] Todd Schneider: What is the informal charter/mission?

[10:40] Frank Loebe: SWAO:Home

[10:41] Peter P. Yim: Leo: informal "Charter" ref. SWAO:Conference Call 20131125#nid41CF

[10:41] Leo Obrst: Section 9. Each SIG and RC may have access to the membership list of the Association, and SIG and RC announcements may be included in normal publicity of the Association.

Section 10. A SIG may hold workshops in conjunction with conferences of the Association (independent of other workshops it may hold). A SIG or RC may request to have an RC or SIG organized event to be organized as an IAOA event or not. If such a request is granted by the Executive Council, IAOA membership rules shall apply.

Section 10. A SIG or RC must have at least ten members, and it shall maintain a list of its members and supply this to the Executive Council along with its annual report. Membership in a RC or SIG shall be open to all IAOA members. Such members shall be entitled to vote in RC or SIG affairs. It is obligatory for a member of a SIG or RC to be member of the Association.

Section 11. A SIG or RC is allowed, though not required, to solicit subscriptions from its members. Any proposal to support a SIG or RC via membership subscriptions must be explicitly approved by the Executive Council.

Section 12. The responsibility for collecting, holding and disbursing funds is delegated to RCs and SIGs under the terms of a Financial Accountability Policy established and approved by the Executive Council. In particular, an RC or SIG may not incur financial liabilities without the prior approval of the IAOA EC. Should there be disagreement on the interpretation of any financial policy, the IAOA EC interpretation will take precedence.

Section 13. The Association will not provide any automatic financial support for a SIG or RC. The RCs and SIGs collectively will be financially self-supporting in accordance with the aforementioned Financial Accountability Policy. Any significant proposed expenditure must be approved by the Executive Council. A SIG or RC may apply to the Executive Council for an annual budget - not to subsidize events, but as an advance on costs. SIG collective fund balances, beyond any required reserves, may be used for non-SIG activities only with the approval of the IAOA EC.

Section 14. A surplus from any activity organized by a SIG or RC will be available in equal parts by the SIG or RC and the Association.

Section 15. With the exception of assets explicitly owned by any group or organization outside the IAOA but participating in the SIG (see Sections 20 and 21), all SIG assets are the property of the IAOA. Should a SIG be dissolved, the IAOA EC will supervise the distribution of its assets.

Section 16. Two or more RCs or SIGs may be consolidated, in accordance with IAOA policies, with approval of the IAOA EC. Should two or more RCs or SIGs merge, all assets and liabilities become the responsibility of the surviving chapter. Should a RC or SIG be dissolved, its assets and liabilities shall be transferred to IAOA and shall be supervised by the IAOA Executive Council.

Section 17. Each SIG and RC shall appoint a Liaison Representative (who may be one of the officers) who shall be responsible for communication with members of the SIG or RC and with the Executive Council.

Section 18. Each SIG and RC committee shall provide a written annual report to the Executive Council before 1st July each year. These reports include: 15

(a) An annual report on the state and activities of the SIG or RC during the previous year;

(b) All reports required by the Financial Accountability Policy; and

(c) Closing reports on all scientific activities sponsored, cosponsored or supported by the SIG or RC. IAOA will oversee the maintenance of all SIG or RC membership records.

Section 19. A SIG's or RC's charter and mission statement, current officer information, and annual report shall be published on the web pages of the Association.

Section 20. A RC or SIG must have prior IAOA EC approval to establish an obligatory relationship with any group or organization outside the IAOA. A relationship is "obligatory" if it commits IAOA's services, assets, or name. Special relationships - those for which the IAOA has no pro forma approval procedure - must be approved by the IAOA EC. The proposal must specify the nature and duration of the IAOA's obligations. In particular, a SIG or RC must obtain IAOA EC approval for any activities sponsored jointly with any organization(s) other than IAOA.

Section 21. The Executive Council may approve the establishment of a SIG or RC jointly with other organizations. In that case, at least 5 members of the SIG or RC committee should be members of the Association, one of whom should be the Liaison Representative. All IAOA bylaw articles pertaining to a specific SIG or RC as well as all IAOA bylaw articles on SIGS and RCs in general, unless explicitly modified by the articles of the SIG or RC, shall apply to a joint SIG or RC, respectively.

Section 22. A RC or SIG may be dissolved only by the IAOA Executive Council. Any proposal to dissolve a SIG or RC must include a reasonable plan for accommodating unfulfilled commitments to its members.

Section 23. The reasons for considering the dissolution of a RC or SIG include, but are not limited to: the majority recommendation of the RC or SIG's officers; failure to maintain sufficient activity or member support; failure to comply with bylaws and IAOA policies over an extended period; divergence from the interests of the Association.

Section 24. At least sixty days prior to formal action on a RC or SIG dissolution proposal, the IAOA Executive Council will publish notice of the proposed action to all IAOA members. If one percent of IAOA Members, or five percent of the members of the subject SIG or RC, challenge the proposal, the EC will extend transitional status for six months to allow the challengers an opportunity to undertake a revitalization plan.

Section 25. During any official deliberations on a proposed dissolution action, the subject SIG has the right to have a representative participate. If the SIG fails to exercise this right, votes may be taken in the absence of a representative.

Section 26. In case of conflict, the IAOA Statute and Bylaws, as well as policies set by the IAOA Executive Council shall take precedence over any provisions of a RC's or SIG's bylaws or internal policies.

[10:41] Ken Baclawski: Unfortunately, I have to leave. I encourage the group to participate in the Ontology Summit 2014 activities related to this SIG.

[10:44] Mike Bennett: Description:

The purpose of the Semantic Web Applied Ontology Special Interest Group (SIG) aims to fill the gap between the Semantic Web community and the IAOA community.

Often the two communities seem to think they have nothing in common, whereas some of us believe they share many common goals, common technologies, and a common interest in well-engineered applied ontologies. Many of us in IAOA promote and use Semantic Web technologies and reasoning methods; similarly, many in the Semantic Web community advocate more rigorous and principled ontologies based on ontological analysis. Therefore, we have proposed a Semantic Web Applied Ontology SIG to bridge the gap between our two communities before it gets wider. This SIG would support communication and collaboration with our colleagues in the Semantic Web (and Linked Data) community.

[10:44] Peter P. Yim: as a reference, see what the Design Semantics SIG folks have done - http://www.designsemantics.org/ & https://iaoa.org/index.php/groups/scientific-committees/

[10:44] Mike Bennett: (cleaned up version of the call description, as a starting point for Charter / Description component)

[10:45] Peter P. Yim: ^[action]

[10:45] Mike Bennett: Design Semantics has their own web page. Is that something we should also pursue doing? I think it's a good idea.

[10:46] Mike Bennett: Ontolog page wth SIGs descriptions: https://iaoa.org/index.php/groups/scientific-committees/

[10:46] Peter P. Yim: link to other SIG's - https://iaoa.org/index.php/groups/scientific-committees/

[10:47] Frank Loebe: re: own web page to me it seems rather early to establish a website; if so, I'd rely on the Ontolog wiki

[10:47] Peter P. Yim: this SIG can start on the wiki page at: SWAO:Home

[10:48] Mike Bennett: @Frank OK. Something to work towards? It would be good to have something in place for when we put the ISWC workshop together if it's accepted.

[10:49] Frank Loebe: @Mike: Right, I agree.

[10:49] Todd Schneider: The SIG's description (SWAO:Conference Call 20131125#nid41CF)<SWAO:Conference Call 20131125#nid41CF%29> is a bit under specified. Can we discuss how to make it a more focused?

[10:49] Leo Obrst: Peter has suggested that SWAO SIG can officially co-sponsor the Ontology Summit 2014 (by requesting this to IAOA).

[10:50] Mike Bennett: We need to convene a discussion session to hash out the formal Description, as well as agree on any of the variables for what goes in the formal Charter.

[10:50] Leo Obrst: @Todd: yes, we should solidify the charter. Volunteers?

[10:51] Todd Schneider: Leo, I'll volunteer.

[10:51] Mike Bennett: @Leo happy to try a re-draft that captures the sense of the existing informal description, but I think the final result should be a consensus effort.

[10:52] Todd Schneider: Mike Bennett, should the SIG focus include specific 'gaps' among the two communities?

[10:53] Andrea Westerinen: @Leo I would also be willing to work on the charter/description

[10:53] Mike Bennett: @Todd good idea. Perhaps we should come to that subsequent discussion with a menu of ideas for what should be in the Charter. And re-read the chat etc. from that previous call (so we reflect what everyone felt it should be).

[10:54] Todd Schneider: Regarding meetings in Trento, is there any possibility of setting up a video link/conference to allow remote participation?

[10:54] Frank Loebe: re: consensus effort I agree that the charter should find consensus. This may lead to the question who this relates to, i.e., we may want to establish a list of members beforehand?

[10:55] Todd Schneider: I think the SIG's charter needs to provide one or more reasons for its existence.

[10:56] Frank Loebe: Is there anyone who is already going to attend ISWC 2014?

[10:57] Frank Loebe: (anyone attending this call)

[10:58] Frank Loebe: +1 for monthly meetings

[10:58] Todd Schneider: Monthly meetings with well defined agenda should work.

[10:58] Mike Bennett: First Monday of the Month is proposed, at this time.

[10:59] Todd Schneider: I second the proposed schedule.

[10:59] Mike Bennett: Who will organize the agenda for the meeting on 3 March - e.g. the volunteers for chair?

[11:00] Leo Obrst: I suggest meeting once a week, perhaps the first Monday of every month, 10 am EST. But initially we might want to have one additional meeting to hash out basic issues.

[11:01] Mike Bennett: @Leo I think you meant once a month above?

[11:01] Leo Obrst: Sorry, yes, once a month!

[11:02] Mike Bennett: I have to drop off at the top of the hour i.e. about now.

[11:04] Todd Schneider: The first issue is the charter?

[11:04] Leo Obrst: I think initially we have 3 co-chairs: Andrea, Elie, and Mike, with more details to follow, and Leo as liaison to IAOA EC.

[11:05] Mike Bennett: @Todd suggest the charter be kicked around via email with a view to formalizing it at 3 March meeting?

[11:05] Peter P. Yim: [need disposition] do we want a separate mailing list now, or should we carry on this conversation on the [iaoa-member] mailing list for now (to draw more attention)?

[11:05] Andrea Westerinen: @Mike I think that we (you, myself and Elie) talk and create a draft charter.

[11:06] ElieAbiLahoud: I am not yet on the [iaoa-member] list

[11:06] Frank Loebe: Do we need decision on submitting an ISWC workshop proposal before Mar 3? The deadline is Mar 19. http://iswc2014.semanticweb.org/important_dates

[11:06] Andrea Westerinen: @Peter I would wait to create a mail list until we have the charter and then go out with that and the list name.

[11:07] Peter P. Yim: @Elie ... all IAOA members are supposedly on the [iaoa-member] mailing list

[11:07] Frank Loebe: @Elie: You can add yourself or I could do it. I'd need your email address. I'll check there first.

[11:08] Andrea Westerinen: I worry that the Mar 19 is too quick to get something really organized.

[11:08] Todd Schneider: Mike Bennett, that's what I suggested. I assume that after you have a draft you'll provide it for comment prior to the next meeting.

[11:08] ElieAbiLahoud: @peter, mea culpa, I haven't sorted out my iaoa membership for 2014

[11:08] Peter P. Yim: @Andrea et al. ... I agree (ref. holding off on the separate mailing list until later) ... let Leo & Frank know any time, and they can make a request to get the list created

[11:08] Mike Bennett: @Todd yes (I'm no longer on the call for voice)

[11:08] Todd Schneider: Andrea, how organized are you expecting?

[11:08] Frank Loebe: @Eli: this doesn't immediately affect the membership _list_

[11:09] Leo Obrst: I am interested in the ISWC Workshop proposal.

[11:09] Andrea Westerinen: @Todd A proposal should have a goal, speakers, etc. That is a lot to organize in <1 month.

[11:09] ElieAbiLahoud: @FrankLoebe , thanks my email is e.abilahoud@ucc.ie

[11:09] Mike Dean: I'm also interested in an ISWC 2014 workshop proposal. I don't think I'm up to organizing, and probably won't be able to attend, but am happy to help with the proposal and serve on the PC.

[11:09] Todd Schneider: Andrea, I thought the first issue (order of business) for the SIG was the charter.

[11:10] Mike Bennett: I think we should definitely plan on submitting for ISWC, so the question is how to make it happen.

[11:10] Andrea Westerinen: @Todd Yes, I agree (charter before deliverables [1]

[11:10] ElieAbiLahoud: @MikeBennett +1

[11:11] Todd Schneider: Parallel processing[2]

[11:12] Todd Schneider: Evolutionary

[11:12] Todd Schneider: The charter can be changed at a later date. Initially it shouldn't be too constrained.

[11:13] Peter P. Yim: see: SWAO:Conference Call 20131125#nid41PT ... this SIG already has a tentative Mission Staement

[11:13] Todd Schneider: The ISWC proposal may inform the charter.

[11:13] Peter P. Yim: ^Statement

[11:15] Andrea Westerinen: Would love to help on the ISWC proposal but don't have a lot of time in the coming month (working the Ontology Summit and a SIG charter). But, going forward, I could help.

[11:18] Frank Loebe: @Eli: you're on iaoa-member now

[11:19] ElieAbiLahoud: Thank you Frank

[11:19] Leo Obrst: 2 activities: 1) charter to be solidified (Andrea, Elie, Mike B); 2) ISWC workshop proposal: Frank, Mike D, Stefano, Leo.

[11:20] Leo Obrst: These activities must start now, and hopefully be completed by our next meeting, Mar. 3.

[11:20] Leo Obrst: We'll discuss in email, but we might want to have another incremental meeting in 2 weeks (let's arrange in email).

[11:20] Mike Dean: @Todd An ISWC workshop proposal is typically more like a call for papers, with a rough agenda if you want to include an invited speaker, panel, etc.

[11:21] Frank Loebe: I'm sorry, despite being very interested I won't be able to really contribute to e.g. writing the workshop proposal; I have severe(st) time constraints until mid April (at least)

[11:21] ElieAbiLahoud: @Leo, I am happy to help on the ISWC proposal but I am not sure yet if I can be on the ground...

[11:21] GigiLipori: @Leo, I am likewise happy to help on the proposal.

[11:21] Todd Schneider: Mike Dean, won't the ISWC proposal have to provide some description of its intent?

[11:21] Mike Dean: I think a significant issue will be to deconflict the workshop proposal with other likely proposals

[11:23] Mike Dean: recent past workshops

[11:23] Frank Loebe: perhaps we can invite Luciano Serafini to get involved in the ISWC workshop (e.g. as co-chair)

[11:23] Frank Loebe: (to resolve the "representation" problem)

[11:24] Todd Schneider: Leo, will an e-mail be sent with all SIG members addresses?

[11:24] Mike Dean: @Todd yes, but at a fairly general level, e.g. list of possible topics

[11:26] ElieAbiLahoud: I might not be able to attend in two weeks but I will be working on the Charter offline with Andrea and Mike B

[11:26] Todd Schneider: Mike Dean, Okay and those topics should be consistent with the SIG charter; Or the topics can be part of the charter.

[11:27] Frank Loebe: [action] [FL] item for EC meeting: request for SWAO SIG mailing list to Peter

[11:27] Andrea Westerinen: @Todd and @Mike +1 on aligning. That was my earlier concern - that we are and stay consistent.

[11:27] Frank Loebe: [agreement] for now, communication should utilize the [iaoa-member] list

[11:28] Todd Schneider: I have to drop off the phone. Cheers.

[11:29] Leo Obrst: Next (incremental) meeting: Feb. 17, 10 am EST. To address the charter/workshop proposal.

[11:29] ElieAbiLahoud: I too have to drop off the phone - Thank you Leo and All.

[11:30] Peter P. Yim: -- session ended: 11:28am EST --

[11:30] Leo Obrst: Thanks all, for today's session: coming together!

Previous Meetings