SWAO:Conference Call 20141006

Number 12
Duration 1.5 hour90 minute
5,400 second
0.0625 day
Date/Time Oct 06 2014 14:00 GMT
7:00 PDT/10:00 EDT
3:00pm BST/4:00pm CET
Convener Leo Obrst

IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) SIG

Meetings are normally on the first Monday of the month at these times.


  • Housekeeping
  • Continue our discussion on creating an introductory online/training tutorial
    • Update on actions from last time
      • Feedback from Education Committee
      • "Gentle introduction to ontologies" - availability?
    • Tutorial / training requirements
      • Target audiences - what do different groups need to see?
      • Is there anything targeting a business analyst / data management audience?
      • Target media - what do we want to be able to put out?
        • White paper for business people
        • Book - follow up previous discussion on this
    • Existing resources we would want to collate and promote
      • See list of existing and upcoming publications we identified last time
        • Should we aim to maintain a library - or is that in hand via Education Committee?
        • In particular with reference to our mission to bridge the gaps between communities
  • Discussion on an issue of the Journal of Applied Ontology related to reuse and lessons learned
  • Ontology Summit
    • Extending and discussing the work of 2014 Ontology Summit
    • Ideas for 2015 Ontology Summit?
      • Input / preparation for Ontology Summit planning meeting on Thursday (9 Oct)
  • Membership, recruitment etc.
    • Things we can do now the infrastructure is sorted out
    • Brainstorm and share information about people and projects relevant to this SIG and reach out them to make them aware of our existence and maybe invite them for a talk or an informal chat
      • Linked Data
      • Big Data
      • Terminology and related science
    • Establish knowledge base and list of knowledgeable individuals, and understand current work, projects and interests
  • AOB
  • Next Meeting

List of attendees

Dagmar Gromann, ElieAbiLahoud, Ken Baclawski, Leo Obrst, Mike Bennett, Mike Dean, Todd Schneider

1. Housekeeping

1.1 Fix bugs on: https://iaoa.orgiaoaSIG/iaoaSIG.html

  • bad link to SWAO official website from IAOA SIGs page (and misnamed)
  • add SWAO SIG to the list in the body of the page

[Action] Leo will help resolving the bugs - contact Oliver.

1.2 SIG Wiki landing page

  • Suggestion: the landing page for the Wiki instead of being the current call would be something else, for example a listing of previous meetings and a notice saying when the next meeting is.
  • Suggestion 2: list other events and things of interest potentially (High level events e.g. workshops).
  • Consensus: One-off ("interesting") meetings - we want those linked to from the SWAO web page, as a one-off link and doesn't need to use the query on the wiki. These would have other attributes e.g. name and place.

[Action] Mike Bennett will suggest something for the landing page.

  • Discussion on using using the query facilities that exist in the mediaWiki to automate the update of the SWAO events page.
  • Suggestion: have the same query embedded on the SWAO web page as well.

[Action] Ken will see about the automated update of the list of meetings.

  • Discussion: for future meetings, email thread and link, or (as for Sept) have nice notes on the wiki page?
  • Suggestion: send out an email which points to the minutes, and have the minutes themselves nicely formatted in the wiki page.
  • Consensus: preference is to have the minutes on the wiki and the email is just a pointer to these, but the volunteer can choose to do this simply by sending an email to the list.

[Action] Elie to capture the minutes of this meeting and try to upload them on Wiki.

1.3 Migration of the old wiki content

[Action] Ken will be creating meeting pages for the previous meetings (Then the minutes for those previous meetings could be simple links to email in some cases; others have been written up as a document which can be extracted). [Note] First meeting is the only one that's different - was in a different format and is on a different page. [Note] In the minutes on the wiki, the action items are tagged with "Action Item"

2. Education

  • Education committee is interested in coordinating.

[Action] Leo to drop a note to Education committee

  • Suggestion: Talked about proposing Book as a possible activity for the Summit.
  • Consensus: need co-ordination among SWAO, IAOA, OS Organizing Ctee; Ontolog Board of Trustees.

3. Brainstorming of things we as a SIG want to bring to the Thursday Ontology Summit

  • Suggestion: a book to mine the 'embedded' knowledge in the Ontolog e-mail and Ontology Summits
  • Discussion: anticipate generating slideware as training material through the Ontology Summit (OS) and the Book follows?
  • Note: Bear in mind the main OS deliverable is always a Communique.
  • Suggestion: OS virtual sessions might constitute the basis of tutorial material for SWAO, that would become eventual chapters of the Book.
  • Discussion: Book structure: = structure of OS and Book Content = tutorial SWAO and then => book chapters.

[Action] All, use 9 Oct 2014 OS meeting as an opportunity for to make these distinctions and encourage folks to get involved in this SIG.

  • Suggestion: include Conceptual Modeling SIG in this conversation?
  • Suggestion: reach out to people from Onto.com and ODISE workshops - focused on Conceptual modeling and ontologies
  • Suggestion: other modelling communities, ODM etc.

[Action] MikeB. and Elie reach out and market the SIG among organisers and participants of "OMG Standards in Support of Business Communication" Dec. 2014.

  • Suggestion: Attract people to this group on the basis of addressing both aplication and business conceptual ontologies.

4. Next steps from having an issue in Applied Ontology

  • News: Green light from Nicolas.
  • Suggestion: Special issue would focus on the themes of the last Ontology Summit.
  • Note: need to think about the timeline.
  • Suggestion: establish a couple of people to focus on this

5. Other Outreach

  • Suggestion: reach out to the Conceptual Modeling SIG.
  • Suggestion: reach out to Elisa Kendall, Cory Casanave.
  • Suggestion: reach out to the ODISE folks.

[Action] MikeB. to reach out to the ODISE.

  • Suggestion: reach out Pascal Hitzler, others at the Ontolog Forum.
  • Suggestion: reach out to Kingsley Idehen and others in the linked data community.

Audio Recording

Previous Meetings

... further results