SWAO:Conference Call 20210510

Number 90
Duration 1 hour60 minute
3,600 second
0.0417 day
Date/Time May 17 2021 18:00 GMT
11:00am PDT/2:00pm EDT
7:00pm BST/8:00pm CEST
Convener Mike Bennett

IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) SIG

THIS MEETING WILL TAKE PLACE ON MONDAY 17 MAY

(please ignore the date implied in the page title)

Meetings are normally on the first Monday of the month at 2pm Eastern Time.

Agenda

  • Latest post for the IAOA website
  • Ontology Articulation Guidelines
  • Housekeeping
  • AoB
  • Next Meeting

Proceedings

Logistics

New SWAO Convenor

MB: New contract. Will be challenged for running this meeting.

Ken would be able to do this.

AW: happy to be the new Convenor.

Outcome: Andrea Westerinen is the new Convenor for this SIG

MB would try to attend where possible.

Meeting Facilities

AW does not have a meeting facility. Options:

KB Zoom account - can give AW the meeting ID.

IAOA logins

MB has admin but is not a member

AW has a message that the old account is not working.

AW needed to be able to log in to post notes etc. (for SWAO)

KB: Please do not post notes for SWAO - all postings go to Emilio.

This is different to the login for the wiki for these meetings (which e.g. MB does have despite not being a member of IAOA)

AW can log in to the SWAO wiki but not the IAOA page.

KB: The plan with the IAOA is to have an LDAP server so there is only 1 login for all the services - INCLUDING the wiki we are using for these calls.

Single login but with different privileges, e.g. if you were not a member of IAOA but can edit these SWAO wiki pages.

IAOA Membership

MB How do I join the IAOA?

KB: This is currently still not free, and people are able to join and pay dues.

These are renewals, in the last couple of weeks.

AW There is a joining page.

It is now EUR50 (previously $30).

1. Latest post for the IAOA website

New post: possible content

Announce new convenor for this group

IAOA Web Page

So, to what to put on the IAOA web page for SWAO

AW: happy to be the new Convenor.

Conclusion: we will put that in the web posting (nobody objected).

What else?

We did not do one last month.

Have we done a web post since the interesting presentation that Andrea gave to the group on events?

Last post was in January

Last Post text

Ken Baclawski: The Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) Special Interest Group is actively involved in the Ontology Summit 2021: Ontology Generation and Harmonization. Harmonization is especially relevant to SWAO because the purpose of SWAO is to help bridge between communities. Ontologies are now routinely being extracted and generated from a large variety of sources, but without articulating the intended purpose or type of the ontologies. Track A of the summit will survey the landscape of ontology types and purposes. Track B will survey the notion of a definition for bridging between different ontologies and between ontologies and people via natural language. Track C is concerned with bridging between the machine learning and ontology communities. Track D considers the organizational aspects of ontologies, especially sustainability of ontologies and their ecosystems.

AW: We talked about a bunch of interesting things since then, including last month's discussions about TLOs.

There is some convergence e.g. Track B is about definitions etc.

Ken Baclawski: Previous post (November): The Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) Special Interest Group is embarking on a project to develop ontology articulation guidelines. There are different kinds of ontology for different purpose, such as concrete solutions to specific engineering problems and models for conceptualization. We will articulate the distinctions among various purposes, with different guidelines for different purposes. The intent of this project is to create a guide that will be easy enough to use, but still provide a greater measure of ontological analysis. The guidelines will be expressed as a collection of wiki pages on wiki.iaoa.org and will build on the terminology on this wiki.

Ontology Summit Items of Relevance

Was there a track where we talked about ontology styles? MB presented on this at some track chaired by Todd and Ravi

We think that was Track A.

Conclusion

We have done considerable work since then, e.g. Andrea's presentation at SWAO, last month's conversation, and Ken's presentation at OS on Shimmering Semantics.

Actions

So we have stuff to write up; how shall we have it written?

AW an take a stab at this as the new Convenor and send it on the mail list to the 5 of us.

2: Ontology Articulation Guidelines

Status

Where did we leave the action?

We were trying to work out where the Education Committee was on this. Todd was looking at that.

TS: EdC more focused on FOIS at present. They have agreed to a general outline they would ask people to provide content for

RR: In the Ed C we are working on 'what is an education series' and identifying folks interested in specific topics. that has been the main focus

Also focus on Bolzano FOIS meeting in Sept.

That will likely be the focus of the EdC meetings for the next couple of months.

RR has raised other topics but the focus is in FOIS and the Education Series. Can raise additional points at next meeting if we have them.

Definition of Ontology Articulation

Andrea Westerinen: What does Ontology Articulation mean?

Andrea Westerinen: So, is this about ontology purpose/audience, ontology definition/communication (is this tied to purpose and audience), specific ontology details, and then onto reuse/maintenance/...?

Andrea Westerinen: This might be our outline.

ToddSchneider: From the last IAOA Education Meeting:

7b. desirable topics

Topics of interest for the ESAO Launch Event:

whats an ontology

ontological analysis

ontology applications

upper ontologies / types of ontologies

core topics

mereology

perdurants, 3D/4D

material constitution

...

ontology development methodologies

ontology languages & logic


Classical topics for ISAO:

whats an ontology (sense? applied, formal, computational, etc.?)

Nicola Guarino

Antony Galton

Achille Varzi

Chris Welty / Dean Allemang / Tom Gruber

ontological analysis

upper ontologies / types of ontologies

mereology

time, perdurants, 3D/4D etc

ontology and conceptual modelling

ontology and natural language

ontology and the semantic web

ontology matching

ontology evaluation


ontology languages & logic

FOL and DLs


ontology development methodologies

Comments

AW: We don't need to raise something to EdC specifically - see material pasted above from last month (2 items above).

TS: Aim is to provide short videos on line.

1 topic is 'Upper ontologies / Types of ontology'; as well as 'What is an ontology?'

Also from our last notes: what does ontology articulation mean?

MB: So several of the things above feed into our focus, e.g. the kind of ontology for conceptual modeling differs from reasoning ontology differs from natural language processing ontology.

RR has some material on types of ontology - would be happy to have input from others here.

AW, MB would love to see this; TS maybe but busy.

AW working on Events and putting something into a KG on that.

AW and RR can brainstorm on this.

KB: has some work on dimensions and ontologies. From OS some years ago.

Will forward to RR.

Clarify: by Dimensions does he mean the 3D / 4D ontology styles or something else?

A: Something else.

Previous Ontology Summits Material

See 2007 Ontology Summit

RR: There is a lot of great material from these earlier Summits. We should revisit those.

Are these old Summit pages all findable on the current set of pages?

Ken Baclawski: Material on kinds of ontologies from 2007: https://ken.baclawski.com/pub/2008/06/links.html

MB hunch: most TLOs seem to have 2 kinds of matter: the partitioning of the world and something about how you characterize, measure et. those things (e.g. value spaces)

RR: this also includes distinctions between data and real things as pieces of knowledge e.g. measures.

These come down to the philosophy of the way that TLO or FO approaches these things.

This is the thing MB is looking for a word for.

Let's look at the 2007 link...

KB is at COGSIMA this week - doing a workshop on interoperability of situations later this week.

TS: Clarify what that means?

KB: See draft communique. Agenda item of the Workshop.

SCOPE model

TS working on a Scope model, one aspect of which is analysis for interoperability. May also apply to orgs and their processes.

TS: Would be interested to have Hans Polzer give some feedback on this.

KB: However, HP is one of the authors of this.

RR: can TS send details about the scope thing he's talking about?

TS: This is available on the web. It needs work.

ToddSchneider: SCOPE MODEL (and related artifacts) https://www.engineeringsemantics.com/scope.html

Andrea Westerinen: SCOPE is about analyzing interop NEEDS

SCOPE - for organizational and information systems, Whether the need for a conceptual ontology emerges from this remains to be seen.

Does not mention ontology at all (either as a consequence of interoperality, OR as a thing that needs interoperating between).

TS: Recommend we look at the spreadsheet of questions and skip the model.

They are working on a v2 of this.

This is in addition to domain dependency questions .

TS: this requires a similar mindset to what you need for ontology development

Mindset for scope models and ontologies is similar.

Foundational ontologies

RR: on the UO topic: found a new Foundational Ontology, is corresponding with the developers. Called ???

RR will find the name. Planning to collect links to papers and post to the Ontolog Forum.

AoB

Ken Workshop Draft Communique Questions

RR: looking at a version of this - what's the current one? Has potential comments.

RR: There are some inaccuracies I would like to raise.

KB: This is based on what people said at the workshop, so this is not necessarily coherent and may not reflect our consensus view for example

KB: People welcome to comment.

KB to give RR the Zoom link to comment on that.

Clarify to RR how to make comments: Send these to KB.

This is the communique for Ken's workshop.

Next Meeting

First Monday of June is not a PH and that is when we will meet.

These meetings notes: MB to post those.

Attendees

  • Todd Schneider
  • Mike Bennett
  • Robert Rovetto
  • Ken Baclawski
  • Andrea Westerinen


Next Meetings

Previous Meetings

... further results