Difference between revisions of "SWAO:Conference Call 20181203"
m (Text replacement - "[[MikeBennett|" to "[[User:MikeHypercube|")
m (Text replacement - "[[ToddSchneider|" to "[[User:Tsch|")
|Line 221:||Line 221:|
* [[User:Ken|Ken Baclawski]]
* [[User:Ken|Ken Baclawski]]
* [[User:MikeHypercube|Mike Bennett]]
* [[User:MikeHypercube|Mike Bennett]]
* [[|Todd Schneider]]
== Next Meetings ==
== Next Meetings ==
Latest revision as of 01:54, 15 November 2019
|Duration||1 hour60 minute |
|Date/Time||December 3 2018 18:30 GMT|
|10:30 PST/1:30pm EST|
|6:30pm GMT/7:30pm CET|
IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology (SWAO) SIG
Meetings are normally on the first Monday of the month at these times.
- SIG Website(s) and wiki
- Finance and ontology event in Summer 2019 (joint with FOIS now - how can SWAO help?)
- Shared events calendar - review of 2019 events
3. Discussion of new initiatives
- There is still seemingly a significant gulf between Applied Ontology and Semantic Web perceptions of ontology; how can this SIG work to bridge the gap, identify commonalities etc.?
- IOF Liaison / actions
- Definitions of ontology and related terms - Contributions to IAOA glossary
- Networking - e.g. NE University contacts; CDO group in Boston; MITIQ; OMG Academic Liaison WG; Accounting (XBRL etc.) groups
5. Next Meeting
[13:31] MikeBennett: Agenda:
Finance and ontology event in Summer 2019
Shared events calendar - review of 2019 events
3.Discussion of new initiatives
There is still seemingly a significant gulf between Applied Ontology and Semantic Web perceptions of ontology; how can this SIG work to bridge the gap, identify commonalities etc.?
IOF Liaison / actions
Definitions of ontology and related terms Contributions to IAOA glossary
Networking e.g. NE University contacts; CDO group in Boston; MITIQ; OMG Academic Liaison WG; Accounting (XBRL etc.) groups
[13:35] MikeBennett: Additional agenda item:
[13:35] MikeBennett: The IOF has a meeting 1st week in Feb in Oslo. Website is up.
[13:36] MikeBennett: Most of the work currently in IOF is mainly in OWL. There is a push under way to also support CL. Most work would be done in OWL.
[13:37] ToddSchneider: IOF February Meeting page: https://www.dnvgl.com/events/international-industrial-ontologies-workshops-134292
[13:39] MikeBennett: Item 1: Housekeeping (web and wiki)
[13:39] MikeBennett: Almost all in place now, but today there was a 'Reverse DNS' issue.
[13:39] MikeBennett: Needed to put a PTR record in something. Yet this was not available.
[13:40] MikeBennett: PTR is some kind of pointer, to point to the Domain Name from the IP address.
[13:40] MikeBennett: Implications?
[13:40] MikeBennett: Every hosting service automatically generates this.
[13:40] MikeBennett: Except here?
[13:41] MikeBennett: Is this specific to iaoa.org / Digital Ocean. iaoa.org now works.
[13:42] MikeBennett: Implications: Doesn't impact web access but some mail systems use the reverse thing to identify possible spam.
[13:42] MikeBennett: There are 'droplets' that are involved with this. KB uses one for multiple domains. has asked about the issue, nothing they can do about it.
[13:43] MikeBennett: Reverse DNS can only get you one domain name. So the standard itself is lacking.
[13:43] MikeBennett: Are there email addresses with iaoa.org in their domain? Yes. These would be anything you get from the IAOA website, e.g. automated ones for changing your password.
[13:48] ToddSchneider: International Industrial Ontologies Workshops
DNV GL will host the 2019 International Industrial Ontologies Workshops
[13:59] MikeBennett: ESWC Challenge
[13:59] MikeBennett: one challenge for us is getting people knowledgeable in creating ontologies.
[13:59] MikeBennett: Relates to apparent deficiencies in BFO and the ISO standards proposal.
[14:00] MikeBennett: Looking for guidelines on how to do ontological analysis or even basic linguistic challenges as a starting point.
[14:01] MikeBennett: OntoClean - harder to frame for these purposes; need a clearer way of describing how to approach this.
[14:01] MikeBennett: That is, the actual analysis; the context in which it will be used, the competency questions, the linguistic aspects, whether or not there are standard definitions. Even simple stuff like noun v verb, context, ontological analysis, identity criteria, rigid or not etc.
[14:02] MikeBennett: This would give a basis for making the appropriate decisions.
[14:06] MikeBennett: What can this group do about this?
[14:06] MikeBennett: We can review it.
[14:06] MikeBennett: See also Fahad from Wright State - flowchart about developing ontologies. Which is missing the analysis portion!
[14:07] MikeBennett: See also www.hypercube.co.uk - link to Training page.
[14:09] MikeBennett: Challenge: What about explanations
[14:09] MikeBennett: See e.g. the Explainable AI at this year's Ontology Summit.
[14:10] MikeBennett: Is this something this group can out forward?
[14:10] MikeBennett: Would need to propose some example data and challenge - see CfP
- A summarizing description of the challenge and its tasks
- How the training/testing data will be built and/or procured
- The evaluation methodology to be used, including clear evaluation criteria and the exact way in which they will be measured. Who will perform the evaluation and how will transparency be assured?
- The anticipated availability of the necessary resources to the participants
- The list of challenge committee members who will evaluate the challenge papers (please indicate which of the listed members already accepted the role) In case of doubt, feel free to send us your challenge proposal drafts as early as possible the challenges chairs will provide you with feedback and answers to questions you may have.
[14:11] MikeBennett: This makes is trickier to identify how you would measure success for explanations.
[14:12] MikeBennett: Possible criteria: workflow in which 'the explanation answers my question' or doesn't.
[14:12] MikeBennett: Needs a person to respond, which becomes subjective.
[14:12] MikeBennett: Can you formalize the actual question?
[14:13] MikeBennett: Seems problematic. Could give examples of expected explanations. Could not easily rule out other, valid answers.
[14:13] MikeBennett: How to determine the quality of an explanation - would require a study to evaluate these answers. So this would not easily fit the CfP requirements.
[14:13] MikeBennett: Could propose something and see what they say.
[14:14] MikeBennett: Deadline is 15 Dec.
[14:14] MikeBennett: Anyone?
[14:14] MikeBennett: No.
[14:15] MikeBennett: Meanwhile -the IEEE Semantic Computing conference...
[14:15] MikeBennett: Not many known names, other than a former student of KB who is on the program committee. So it might be relevant to us.
[14:17] MikeBennett: Computing conference etc. - where there may be an ontology submission opportunity but it is not an ontology event.
[14:17] MikeBennett: Probably not include in what we send to IAOA
[14:18] MikeBennett: Might do a filter on the broader Semantic Shed Events spreadsheet, to send as SWAO ideas for the IAOA spreadsheet. Exclude some of the financial and computing events?
[14:21] MikeBennett: https://www.ieee.org/about/ieee-europe/events.html
[14:34] Ken Baclawski: Proposal for a challenge:
I am the Chair of the Ontology Summit 2019. This year the theme is "Explanations". In the last two years, DARPA has had a program called Explainable AI (XAI), and it is generally recognized that ontologies are fundamental to explanations. The Ontology Summit 2019 is not limited to explaining AI systems. As the description states:
An explanation is the answer to the question "Why?" as well the answers to followup questions such as "Where do I go from here?" Accordingly, explanations generally occur within the context of a process, which could be a dialog between a person and a system or could be an agent-to-agent communication process between two systems. Explanations also occur is social interactions when clarifying a point, expounding a view, or interpreting behavior. In all such circumstances in common parlance one giving/offering an explanation.
Automating explanations, especially when intended for people, is a difficult and important challenge. Unfortunately, we do not have any training/testing data or evaluation methodology. Indeed, evaluation methodologies for explanations are themselves a challenge.
About all I could by December 15 is a list of committee members.
[14:34] MikeBennett: Next call
[14:34] MikeBennett: 7 January
[14:35] MikeBennett: or 14th?
[14:36] MikeBennett: 7 Jan is fine. 08:30 in Hawai'i